Tuesday, August 23, 2011

How to Cook Asparagus

Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables.  I buy a bundle every time I go to the grocery store.  It's quick any easy to make.  


It can be cooked as a complement to some dishes or with some dishes as I did in my Asparagus & Mozarella Wrapped Chicken recipe.  Delicious!!


There are several other ways to cook it.  Roast in the oven, steam, saute, stir-fry, grill or even frying it can be several options.  I have cooked asparagus all of these ways and I can't say I have disliked any recipe.


Lets start with how to prepare asparagus for cooking.  I prefer the bundles of thin asparagus to the bigger, thicker bundles, but sometimes that is all that is available.  Be sure to thoroughly clean your asparagus under water or using a vegetable cleaner.  The fibrous parts of the asparagus need to be removed.  They are very grainy and hard to chew.  You can cut the pink fibrous ends with cooking shears or using a knife, or you can bend the ends until they pop at the natural breaking point.  Now we are ready to cook.


Roasting:  My favorite way to cook asparagus.  Spray the pan with cooking spray.  I prefer butter flavor or olive oil flavor.  Lay asparagus in the pan and gently toss around to cover.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Add other seasonings to your liking.  I often omit the salt and use garlic salt and parsley flakes instead.


Steaming:  Steaming is probably the second easiest method of cooking   
asparagus.  You can use an asparagus steamer or a regular pot.  I prefer an asparagus steaming pot like the one shown here in this Amazon ad.  It's the perfect height and helps guarantee your asparagus won't bend. Just add water to the bottom and bring to boil.  Insert asparagus tray and steam for about 5 minutes or until tender.

Saute:  Cut asparagus into smaller pieces.  Heat some butter or olive oil in a pan and add the asparagus.  I also add sliced onions, but you can prepare it the way you choose.  Sprinkle with salt, garlic salt or any other seasonings to your taste.  Be careful not to overcook and stir constantly.  


Grill:  In aluminum foil, prepare asparagus the same as when it's sauteed.  Add butter, and seasonings.  Seal and throw on the grill for about 5-10  minutes.    


Fried:  One of the unhealthier  options, but very tasty.  Requires a little more time.  Prepare a liquid batter and a bread crumb mixture.  I use Bisquik for the liquid batter and Panko bread crumbs and regular bread crumbs for the dry batter.  Add salt, pepper and I like to add Tony Chachere for flavor.  The easiest way to prepare the oil for frying is to use an electric skillet if you have one.  Heat vegetable oil to 400 degrees.  Coat asparagus in wet batter then dry batter.  Place in heated oil and cook until golden brown.  Repeat with each piece.


Hope this article helps and now you can enjoy several different ways to cook asparagus.

No comments:

Post a Comment